As the world prepares to say goodbye to 2020, many have started to make their to-do lists for 2021. Typical self-improvement resolutions are still present, like eating healthier and exercising more, but some choose to focus their attention on enhancing their homes. If all this time spent at home has revealed areas for improvement, why not take on some of them on your own?
Room makeovers have become popular in recent months as people wanted to make the space more comfortable and personal. Discover simple ways you can transform your bedroom to create a more relaxing living space for yourself.
Personalise the Entryway
As the first thing that anyone will see of your bedroom, your entryway can be transformed into a statement piece.
- There are interior doors for sale online that you can install in your bedroom.
- Put on a fresh coat of paint or apply stick-on wallpaper on your door to make it pop.
- Install fairy lights around the door (inside or outside your bedroom) to give it character.
- Attach hooks behind your door to create storage for coats and bags.
- Install a full-body mirror behind your door to free up floor space.
Starting your makeover with your door gives you a small but significant focal point for other improvements.
Rethink Your Storage Space
If your bedroom doesn’t have a built-in closet, you’re probably losing valuable floor space on a bulky wardrobe or a drawer chest.
- Use the space under your bed to keep foldable clothes such as t-shirts, trousers, athletic wear and seasonal clothes.
- Install a hanging clothes rack on a wall as a less bulky alternative to a wardrobe. Alternatively, a wheeled clothes rack lets you move it around as needed.
- Keep shoes in stackable boxes and place them in one corner. Alternatively, there are ottomans with built-in storage space for shoes and other items if you want extra seating.
Identifying areas or furniture that can double as storage space will help you make your bedroom look bigger.
Paint the Walls
What you have on your bedroom’s walls can drastically change the appearance of the entire space. Find out how you can transform your room with a fresh coat of paint or new wallpaper.
- Pale colours in shades of blue and grey give your bedroom a light and airy look that enhances relaxation.
- Dark colours like black will help wall decorations and other furnishings in your bedroom pop out.
- Paint your ceiling, trims and the back of your door the same colour as your walls to make the space look bigger.
- Make an accent wall by painting it one colour or installing wallpaper. It creates a focal point for the room, creating the ideal space to hang artwork.
- Paint the walls a complementary colour to your furniture to make the area look cohesive.
If you’re unsure of what colour to use in your room, consider consulting interior design sites and video tutorials online. You may also paint swatches on the walls to see what looks best. ;
You may also give your bedroom a new look, especially if doing so makes you feel more optimistic about the coming year. By going back to design basics, you can transform your room for 2021.
- Choose a design theme (e.g. rustic, industrial, or minimalist) to use as a guide in choosing colours, furnishings, and other decorative elements.
- Decide on must-haves for the space, such as a study or work area, to know how to rearrange furniture to avoid making the room feel claustrophobic.
- Remove unnecessary furniture to free up floor space and make the room look bigger.
There are many ways to improve your bedroom. You just have to take it step-by-step to avoid being overwhelmed.